Entertainment Weekly’s iPad app called “The Must List” has been heralded as one of the coolest launched by publishers so far.
“The Must List” is the ultimate fun guide to the best new stuff in entertainment. Every week, EW editors pick the 10 movies, TV shows, books, music, viral videos, games, or apps that any smart pop-culture junkie NEEDS to know about. One can then flick through the list for a quick overview, or go deeper and listen to audio tracks, watch HD video trailers, and read reviews from Entertainment Weekly, all without leaving the app. When one sees something one likes, one can just add it to the personal Must List, or tap to purchase it on the spot. The EW app comes integrated with iTunes, Amazon and Fandango so users can buy the recommended content. For example, the entry for “The Fantastic Mr. Fox” movie on DVD includes buttons letting users watch the trailer, buy the DVD from Amazon, buy the soundtrack from iTunes or read the EW review. Entertainment Weekly, which is part of the Time Inc. empire, gets a share of revenue generated through iTunes sales.
– Updated every Friday with 10 new picks
– Sort by category and review picks from the previous four weeks
– Sample and buy music, videos, and apps from iTunes
– Stream HD movie trailers from Apple
– Click to visit your favorite websites to buy e-books, movie tickets and
– Save favorite items to your personal Must List
– Read related articles from EW.com
It runs currently as a free advertiser-sponsored app downloadable over the App Store. EW may charge for The Must List app down the road though.